The Urbandale Community School District has contracted with Iowa Health Des Moines to provide Athletic Training Services to the students of Urbandale High School.
This contract service has been approved by the Board of Directors, Urbandale Community School District, and provides for on-site Athletic Training Services on a daily basis during the school year and support at home and limited away events.
The Athletic Trainer assigned to Urbandale is Zach McEntee.
- Iowa Health Systems provides Urbandale High School with an Athletic Trainer who is typically on duty from 3:00pm—6:00pm daily and at Varsity and other select contests.
- All injuries must be reported to the coach.
- Students will not be allowed to return to practice or competition after injury without a specific written release from a medical professional.
Athletic Training / Injuries
• Unity Point Hospital Corporation provides Urbandale High School with an Athletic Trainer who is typically on duty from 3:00pm—6:00pm daily and at Varsity contests.
• All injuries must be reported to the coach.
• Students will not be allowed to return to practice or competition after injury without a specific written release from a medical professional.
• Urbandale Concussion Management Plan (effective July 2019)
• ImPACT Testing: All high school students participating in athletics to include Cheerleading and Dance will be tested prior to the season in which they participate (one test annually for students in multiple sports) by the Athletic Trainer and/or Activities Department Staff. The data collected will then be used in the event a student suffers a concussion to assist in the determination of return to play status. Any student wishing to not participate in this testing will be allowed to opt out of the testing with the approval of his/her parent in writing by completing the ImPACT Opt Out Form.
Questions and Concerns
Concerns regarding Athletic Training Services may be forwarded to:
William R. Watson, Ph.D., CAA
Director of Activities and Community Education
Urbandale Community School District
Urbandale, IA 50322
Dan Sweet, PT
Manager, Outpatient Therapy Services
1200 Pleasant Street, Suite 305
Des Moines, IA 50309
(515) 241-6772 phone
Additional Medical Resources:
Upcoming Free Clinics
Forms and Other Information
A listing of those medical clinics that offer either free or low cost physicals and medical care. Please use this form (printed copies are available outside UMS Main Office and within Activities Office at UHS)
State Requirements for Concussion Management
Urbandale Concussion Management Protocol (updated July 2019)
IHSAA / IGHSAU Concussion Management Protocol (amended March 2019)
Parent / Guardian Acknowledgement Form required by Iowa Law to be reviewed and signed by parents and students and returned to a student’s school and placed on file prior to practicing or competing in athletic activities, cheerleading, and dance.
Complete this form and return to the Activities Office if you wish to not have your child participate in the ImPACT Test. More information on the test can be found here.
Release form for Return to Play after an Injury.
Iowa Law requires that all students who participate in athletics have a valid athletic physical of file. Physicals are valid for thirteen (13) months from the date of the original examination. This law holds true for those in athletic activities, cheer, and dance in grades 7-12.
This form is used to manage contact information and activity selections by students in Grades 7-12.